Friday, February 6, 2009

Remembering the important things

After finishing my last post on new year's resolutions in the month of February, I looked at the next topic on my page and recognized what a possible resolution could be. Are you good at remembering the important things, or do you spend most of your time running from one place to the next, trying to get the most urgent things done, never stopping to look at the big picture? As I think about the important things in life, I think about what God has told us is important, which is found in the Bible. There are a lot of ways to soak up the Bible. A lot of people decide they are going to read through the Bible in one year. This usually starts on January 1 and ends around January 6th or 7th. I'm not saying this is wrong, but how can we provide the lasting importance of reading or memorizing scripture? Here is a fun way to memorize scripture that my mom sent me...

Scriptures From A to Z
A Cure for Sleeplessness
Marian Groen

Directions: Quote these scriptures when you have difficulty sleeping. You will fall asleep before reaching the end of the alphabet. The devil would rather have you sleep than quote scripture. Scriptures are from the New King James Version

A-And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
B-Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6
C-Casting all your care upon Him for He cares for you. I Peter 5:7
D-Delight yourself also in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
E-Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. James 1:17
F-For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes on Him, should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
G-Give and it will be given to you, good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you. Luke 6:38.
H-Heaven and earth will pass away, but My Word will by no means pass away. Matthew 24:35
I-In All your ways, acknowledge Him and he shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:6
J-Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever. Hebrews 13:8
K-Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it springs the issues of life. Proverbs 4:23
L-Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in me. John 14:1
M-My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27
N-Nor is there salvation in any other; for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
O-Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. Romans 13:8
P-Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27
Q-Quench not the Spirit. I Thessalonians 5:19
R-Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I will say, rejoice! Philippians 4:4
S-Seek the Lord while He may be found, Call upon Him while He is near. Isaiah 55:6.
T-Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
U-Unto You, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, I trust in You; Let me not be ashamed; Let not my enemies triumph over me. Psalms 25:1-2
V-Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a man be born again, he cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. John 3:3
W-Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Proverbs 30:5
X-Xalt the Lord our God and worship at His footstool-He is holy. Psalm 99:5
Y-You are the light of the world; a city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:13
Z- Zion hears and is glad, and the daughters of Judah rejoice because of Your judgments, O Lord. Psalm 97:8

No comments: